create shape file for joined data

04-25-2020 12:56 PM
SelamMuluneh
New Contributor

How to create shape file for the no of cases are per county which are joined with the county map from from TIGER.

So the map has latitude and longitude and I need to create a shape file once I joined them and exported.
And I did a display xy data, for the exported table of the joined data and it is not working.
Any idea you can give me please?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor

I don't fully understand the question, which data types are you joining? If it's a spatial join you will need to save the displayed data into a gis format first, right click on the displayed data in the TOC and go to data->export data 

0 Kudos
SelamMuluneh
New Contributor
Sorry about that, the data type for the table is CSV standalone table, and the map is shape file.
I joined them on their common field COUNTYFP and when the data is exported its type is dbf, but I need a shape file for further analyisis, or I need to do Kernel Density on the output shape file.
Please let me know what you think.
Thank you,
Selam M
0 Kudos
DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor

What you need to do is add the join to the shapefile table, not your csv.  The attributes of the matching records from your csv will be transferred to the attribute table of the counties shapefile. Because a join is temporary in nature, you will then have to export the shapefile to a new one (right click on the the shapefile in the table of contents, data->exportdata).

0 Kudos