World Urban Areas Missing Details

Jump to solution
04-14-2020 12:22 PM
SohaHammam
New Contributor

I'm currently using the feature layer World Urban Areas https://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=2853306e11b2467ba0458bf667e1c584 but I'm having trouble finding details about the layer such as the criteria that was used to set the boundaries of urban areas as well as how the "Rank" is defined for each urban area. These details are crucial for me in order to use the data in a meaningful way and I would really appreciate any reference to how the data was defined and created.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Andy-Green
Esri Contributor

Hi Soha Hammam‌,

This data was for originally intended for the visual appearance of urban areas as part of a collection of basemap data and not for authoritative boundary delineation.  We are aware the layer is missing some urban areas and have reached out to the data supplier.  This data is provided by DeLorme (a Garmin subsidiary) and not Esri. The RANK attribute orders their perceived importance based on a scheme derived by DeLorme. Lower numbers indicate more important features to them. It may help with determining at what scale each urban area displays. The ranking criteria as well as the specific boundaries are from the data owner's value-add methodology. 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Andy-Green
Esri Contributor

Hi Soha Hammam‌,

This data was for originally intended for the visual appearance of urban areas as part of a collection of basemap data and not for authoritative boundary delineation.  We are aware the layer is missing some urban areas and have reached out to the data supplier.  This data is provided by DeLorme (a Garmin subsidiary) and not Esri. The RANK attribute orders their perceived importance based on a scheme derived by DeLorme. Lower numbers indicate more important features to them. It may help with determining at what scale each urban area displays. The ranking criteria as well as the specific boundaries are from the data owner's value-add methodology. 

0 Kudos