VehicleRoutingProblem from Java

03-05-2020 06:33 AM
GiancarloRotta
New Contributor

I need to implement a backend in Java to use the VehicleRoutingProblem. I don't find it in the Java SDK. This one is supported  in the REST api.  Make any sense use the Java SDK for a web backend? or just direct call to the rest api from java? (the presentation layer will be some modern html)

Thanks!

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Nicholas-Furness
Esri Regular Contributor

The Runtime SDK wasn't built to run in a server context. There are security, performance, and file handling considerations that would probably bite you.

Also worth pointing out that the license terms don't allow it (see here, Footnote 19, which is reference in Developer Tools->ArcGIS Runtime SDK).

However, I don't think the Runtime would buy you anything in this case since, as you point out, there's no API for VRP. I'd just make the REST calls from your own Java code.

Lastly… I don't think this will help you unless you're willing to consider Node JS, and you'd have to extend it to solve VRP, but it could give you an authentication and request framework, so I thought I'd mention it: Perhaps check out ArcGIS REST JS.

Hope that helps!

0 Kudos