Select to view content in your preferred language

Laser cut layered topo map

03-04-2020 11:18 AM
ShishonaTurner
Emerging Contributor

This is a multiple part question - I'm overwhelmed and would appreciate guidance on steps to take.  I am determined to figure this out and can read tutorials and teach myself but need pointed in the right direction.

I'm trying to create a layered topo map of the state of Idaho by laser cutting wood layers and putting them on top of each other.  Conceptually I know what I want to do but my GIS is very rusty from 20 years ago when I finished my Geology degree.  I'm trying to figure out how to use ArcGIS from the one training I had a few years ago.  I've chosen a base map but I would like to filter/narrow down the elevations shown in the map.  What suggestions would you have to go about doing this?  I'm working on a prototype first so would not have many layers. The prototype would be limited to 11.9" x 19" - so a small version.  I need to overlay rivers, highways and certain city locations from a list I have.

The final project will be about 56" high and mounted on the wall.  I've accepted my z-axis dimensions will not be to scale with my x,y dimensions.  I'd love to pull that off but I'm not sure if that will be possible.  The difference in elevations from the lowest point(710 ft) to highest point (12,668 ft) is 11,958 ft and I'll be using 1/8" baltic birch wood.  Idaho is 305.1 miles (1.611 million feet) across and 479.1 mi (2.53 million feet).  

For the final project, I'll need to split each layer into segments due to the size contraints of my laser.  I'll likely split the layer along rivers or highways.  This is easy to do in Inkscape and I'm not worried about this step.  My biggest challenge is figuring out the topography piece and getting it exported/saved from ArcGIS to a PDF, PNG/JPG, AI, or SVG file.

Perhaps ArcGIS isn't the right tool for this?  What other recommendations do you have?

Thank you for any feedback or insight you have on this project.  Cheers!  Shishona

p.s. Apparently I need to publish this in a place so I chose 3D Mapping Group.  Please let me know if you think this would be better in a different category.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor

You could create the base using contours. The height of that contour area would correspond to the layer they belong to. Eg everything over 0m would be your base, the next layer is everything over 100m, next layer everything over 200m..

I dont know if this is obvious sorry.

0 Kudos
ShishonaTurner
Emerging Contributor

Thank you David.  Yes, this is essentially what I'm trying to do.  When I open ArcGIS, I believe I'm supposed to select a Base Map.  I chose Topographic.  How do I separate out the layers (regardless of the intervals of the layers).  I'll try using "contours" in my search terms.

0 Kudos
DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor

I would get a raster DEM and use that to calculate new areas in raster calculator.

0 Kudos
MarshallMistry
Deactivated User

Hello Shishona!

From what I understand, you're looking for a workflow to help create a relief map using a series of laser cut layers. You'll probably need a digital elevation model of the state of Idaho. DEMs are data you will have to upload. If you don't have one, you can likely find one on the internet. Here's a good place to start. At the very least you should be able to use this link to find the shapefiles you'll need for the Rivers, Highways, and cities. If you can't find a DEM, you can make your own by downloading SRTM data from USGS Explorer, and splicing the tiles together. If you need help doing this, you can look into creating a mosaic dataset. After splicing together the tiles you can upload a shapefile of the boundary of Idaho and use the extract by mask tool to limit your extent to the state of Idaho.

Once you have your dataset, I would recommend reclassifying the raster into a set number of classes. Doing this could allow you to maintain your z-axis accuracy, and could make the process of laser cutting the individual layers easier. Calculate the scale of your map, then determine what 1/8th of an inch is relative to your elevation (for example, maybe 1/8th of an inch on your model will correlate to 1000' in the real world). In this example you would have 11 layers. You can then reclassify your DEM into 1000' chunks (classes). Be careful to check the units of your DEM. Reclassifying however, will reduce the accuracy of the topography by breaking the model into classes. Instead of having a smooth relief map, you will have distinct breaks. You could use a wide belt sander to reduce the thickness of your layers accurately to 1/16". In this instance you would reclassify into 500' classes, which would result in 22 layers total. The more layers you use, the finer your resolution/accuracy, but the more work you will have to do. You could then systematically remove each class individually for laser cutting using the extraction toolset.

At this point, you will have the DEM broken into classes for laser cutting, and shapefiles denoting the rivers, cities, and highways. To create a series of JPG images for use in laser cutting, you will have to make a series of maps. You can manually set the scale to correspond with the scale you used to calculate your classes. I would recommend etching the outline of the next layer on top of the previous layer so you know where to glue/epoxy the next successive layer. Manually creating 22 maps can be a little tedious, so if you want to really stretch your GIS abilities you can play around with Data Driven Pages (also known as Map Series in ArcGIS Pro) to automate this process. Once you have the appropriate number of maps at the correct scale you can Export your maps to the file extension of your choosing, and get to cutting! 

Good Luck Shishona! Feel free to reach out again if you run into any snags along the way.

-Marshall

ShishonaTurner
Emerging Contributor

Hi Marshal, YES!!  Exactly.  Nail on the head.  Thank you so much.  I've started reading the pages you directed me to.  I do have DEM data that I've been trying to manipulate but it's not in a format for ArcGIS.  I'll resource my DEM data.  I was getting stuck with how to narrow it down to the shape of Idaho but the extract by mask tool looks easy enough.  Super helpful!

Shishona 

MarshallMistry
Deactivated User

I'm happy I could help! I would recommend trying to turn your DEM into a GeoTIFF, they are a common raster dataset used in GIS. Keep me updated on your progress! I'd love to see a picture when you're all done!

-Marshall

ShishonaTurner
Emerging Contributor

If anyone is interested, I did find this write-up for how to do something like this with a CNC router (just not a laser).  https://makezine.com/projects/convert-geological-information-into-custom-map-fit-for-3d-printing-and...