Problems exporting feature class to shapefile

Jump to solution
03-04-2020 08:44 AM
CarstenSchuermann
Occasional Contributor

I am experiencing problems when exporting a file geodatabase feature class to shapefile. The file geodatabase feature class has more than 6 million features and 19 fields. In ArcGIS Pro, I exported the feature class by using the Feature Class to Feature Class tool. While the geometries were exported correctly, the attributes in the shapefile are mixed up. For example, a feature that is located in country A got the attributes of a feature located in country B and vice versa. I also tried exporting the feature class with ArcCatalog, but I am facing the them problem there. Any idea about the cause of the problem and what I can do for a successful and correct export? I am using ArcGI Pro 2.4.3. and ArcGIS Desktop 10.7.1.

P.S. I need to export to shapefile since I need to share the data with a colleague in another organization who can only read shapefiles.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
George_Thompson
Esri Frequent Contributor

You may be hitting a limitation of a shape file size, which is 2GB; Geoprocessing considerations for shapefile output—Appendices | Documentation 

How large are the files that is "exported"

--- George T.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
George_Thompson

You may be hitting a limitation of a shape file size, which is 2GB; Geoprocessing considerations for shapefile output—Appendices | Documentation 

How large are the files that is "exported"

--- George T.
CarstenSchuermann
Occasional Contributor

Thanks George for your reply. The size of the *.dbf file is exactly 2 GB, those of the *.shp file is 162 MB. Does this mean that the attribute information are only partially exported?

0 Kudos
George_Thompson

I am going to go with yes on that. Maybe try to export in 2 smaller chunks to see if that works?

The ,dbf is storing all the table data so that would make sense that it is corrupted at the 2GB mark. Here is the documentation, non-Esri: https://www.dbase.com/Knowledgebase/faq/dBASE_Limits_FAQ.html 

--- George T.
0 Kudos
BrianWade
Occasional Contributor

Any chance your data is joined to another table?

Are you using right click from layer or feature contents pane to access export data via feature class to feature class tool?

I don't believe the  tool can switch your table data around or assign data, attributes that aren't already there, ie good data in good data out.

I wish I had the magic answer 4 you.

0 Kudos