How do I access ArcMap while using ArcGIS Online?

Jump to solution
02-27-2020 03:12 PM
WestonKnudtson
New Contributor

I'm taking the course "Getting Started with GIS" and it says that I can use ArcGIS Online, but what do I do when I get to the lessons that are working on ArcMap? There are only instructions for how to use it for ArcGIS on the desktop. Or is that the only way to use ArcMap?

For example, the instructions say to go to the Start Menu and click on All Programs and then find the ArcGIS folder that has ArcMap. I'm using ArcGIS Online so I don't see the ArcGIS folder in my programs. What do I do?

Thanks! 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Are you talking about this "Getting Started with GIS" (https://www.esri.com/training/catalog/57630434851d31e02a43ef28/getting-started-with-gis/) web course?  If so, I see that it states you need both Desktop and ArcGIS Online:

To complete exercises, you need the following:

• ArcGIS Desktop 10.6 (Basic, Standard, or Advanced)
  • ArcGIS Online

View solution in original post

3 Replies
DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Weston,

> I'm taking the course "Getting Started with GIS" ... what do I do when I get to the lessons that are working on ArcMap? There are only instructions for how to use it for ArcGIS on the desktop. Or is that the only way to use ArcMap?

Correct. ArcMap is a desktop product and only works when installed locally on your machine. It does not work via a web browser. You can get ArcMap (which is included with ArcGIS Desktop) via this bundle, cost is approx $100

ArcGIS for Personal Use Program | ArcGIS Desktop Advanced for Personal Use 

Hope this helps,

WestonKnudtson
New Contributor

Hi Derek,

Thank you for your help! The "Getting Started with GIS" course lists ArcGIS Online as one of the options for completing lessons. This is a little misleading. That's why I wanted to know if I could access ArcMap somehow with the online version. But I was only able to complete about 1/3 of the lessons with ArcGIS Online.  

I now have a desktop version and am able to complete the course.

Thanks,

Weston 

0 Kudos
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Are you talking about this "Getting Started with GIS" (https://www.esri.com/training/catalog/57630434851d31e02a43ef28/getting-started-with-gis/) web course?  If so, I see that it states you need both Desktop and ArcGIS Online:

To complete exercises, you need the following:

• ArcGIS Desktop 10.6 (Basic, Standard, or Advanced)
  • ArcGIS Online