Store nested repeat as feature or pulldata from previous repeat

Jump to solution
02-07-2020 05:12 AM
DataOfficer
Occasional Contributor III

Hi,
I have built a Survey123 form in Connect in order to collect wildlife monitoring data. Each record consists generally of the following information, which can be roughly split in to 3 sections:

1. Survey details: Survey site, Date, Recorder details, Visit details (e.g. weather)
  2. Record details: Record location (geopoint), Record time
  3. Species recorded (at the above location and time): Species, Lifestage, Sex, Quantity

Currently '2. Record details' is within a repeat, and '3. Species recorded' is within a nested repeat (as there may be multiple species observations at a single time and location). However, this produces 1. and 2. as Feature Layers, but 3. as a related table. Our use case requires each record made at step 3. to be an individual geopoint (feature layer), rather than a series of records associated to a single point. 

My question is:

• Is there a way of extracting the related table to a feature within a feature layer for each row, which updates 'live' with record submissions
    OR
  • Is there a way that I could use a pulldata function to fill details from a previous repeat within the same survey, so that I can eliminate the nested repeat? (I.e. transfer the details in step 2. to multiple repeats without including a nested repeat). 

Unlike most Survey123 example data, we are not working with fixed monitoring points such as hydrants, but instead a survey may result in records at any location within a survey site, and with 0, 1 or many records during a survey visit. The key outputs for us are the individual species records, rather than the individual survey sites that the records are recorded within. We need to be able to hide or show the different species records in webmaps and dashboards using filters etc., without having multiple species records stored in a single point and not only accessible by scrolling through a popup.

Thanks in advance,
Rob

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Rob,

It would probably be easiest to simply add a geopoint question the species recorded table and have it calculated from the record detail's own geopoint question.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
JamesTedrick

Hi Rob,

It would probably be easiest to simply add a geopoint question the species recorded table and have it calculated from the record detail's own geopoint question.

0 Kudos
DataOfficer

Hi James,

Do you mean adding another Geopoint question within the nested repeat which pulls the coordinates from the Record Details repeat?
We've got a potential workaround using the Join Features tool to create a Hosted Feature Layer View of the data species records. To make sure the Hosted Feature Layer View contains the attributes we want to display, we are now passing some of the fields from the Survey Details and Record Details parent layers to the Record Details nested repeat.

Many thanks,
Rob

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick

Hi Rob,

Yes, adding a Geopoint question to the nested repeat was what I was referring to.  Creating a layer view could also be a solution if that works for your requirements.

0 Kudos
DataOfficer

Hi James,

Thanks for the clarification. By creating a geopoint in the nested repeat (with coordinates pulled from the layer above), would it then store the nested repeat data as a feature layer or as a related table, as is currently the case?

Many thanks,
Rob

0 Kudos
SonyaBateman
New Contributor

Hi Rob,

Is there a way you could share your survey? I'm interested in building a similar form but am stuck on the nested repeat part for multiple species.

Thanks in advance,

Sam

0 Kudos