AnsweredAssumed Answered

Pandas: overflowerror maximum recursion level reached

Question asked by jamesfreddyc Champion on Jan 13, 2020
Latest reply on Jan 13, 2020 by jamesfreddyc
This may not be wholly an ArcGIS problem but I always seem to get the best answers from this group! 
I'm working with the new ESRI Tracker feature service and trying to summarize the json output a bit to generate reports.  The specific task is to maintain a running total of seconds between successive point features using the "location_timestamp" column.  I won't go into the query portion where we are acquiring the json from the feature service (it's all basic/simple stuff just querying the REST interface with urllib2.Request). 
I'll put 2 versions (short & long version has all details, just read everything after the *****)

The short version -- grouping to sum an "elapsedSeconds" column:
grouped = df.groupby(['location_day','PEP_land_name','PEP_land_rate','created_user'])['elapsedSeconds'].sum().reset_index()
Revert this grouped dataframe back into json:
dfjson = grouped.to_json(orient='records')
This is where I end up with an "overflowerror maximum recursion level reached".

The long version with more detail about what I'm doing.  To start, I'm just querying the REST of a hosted feature service (the ESRI tracker service):
tracksReq = urllib2.Request(urlTrackerMain + '/query', tracksParams)
tracksResponse = urllib2.urlopen(tracksReq)
tracksResult = json.load(tracksResponse)
And whammo, I have the json output of the tracker service. From here I add some columns to the json for various things:
if tracksResult is not None:
     output = []
for jj in tracksResult['features']:
     int_num = int(str(json.dumps(jj['attributes']['location_timestamp'])))
     utc = time.strftime('%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S', time.gmtime(int_num/1000.0))
     convTimeStamp = time.strftime('%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S', time.gmtime(int_num/1000.0))
     convDayStamp = time.strftime('%Y-%m-%d', time.gmtime(int_num/1000.0))
     jj['attributes']['location_timestamp_local'] = convTimeStamp
     jj['attributes']['location_day'] = convDayStamp

output.append(jj['attributes'])
So now I have a new output with some extra columns (converted those epoch datetime values to something meaningful).  Now from here I am ready to do some grouping/summarizing using Pandas:
df = pd.DataFrame.from_dict(output, orient='columns')
df['location_timestamp_local']= pd.to_datetime(df['location_timestamp_local'])
df = df.sort('location_timestamp_local')
Here's where I am creating that running total column in the dataframe:
#determine duration in seconds between the previous row's datetime value. Do this for each day.
df['elapsedSeconds'] = df.sort('location_timestamp_local').groupby(['location_day','PEP_land_name'])['location_timestamp_local'].diff()/1000
All is good and well.  Now for some grouping to sum that "elapsedSeconds" value.
grouped = df.groupby(['location_day','PEP_land_name','PEP_land_rate','created_user'])['elapsedSeconds'].sum().reset_index()
And finally revert this grouped dataframe back into json:
dfjson = grouped.to_json(orient='records') 
This is where I end up with an "overflowerror maximum recursion level reached".  It doesn't seem to error when I run in pyScripter v2.6 x86 but it fails when I hook up this .py script to a Geoprocessing tool source.  This is likely the issue (32-bit vs. 64?), I'm unsure and really just looking for workarounds if known.
Anyway -- thanks for looking and should be a fun one to figure out!
ArcGIS 10.4
Pandas 0.16.1

Outcomes