AnsweredAssumed Answered

Sort and Create Sequential ID Field with Web Content - Python Console - Pro

Question asked by dgrayctq on Jan 9, 2020
Latest reply on Jan 9, 2020 by dgrayctq

Hi Everyone,

I was wondering if it's possible to create a sequential ID field with a sorted field that is not Object ID, referencing a web layer in My Content of ArcGIS Online (as opposed to a locally-stored layer).  I've tried to create a Python script to feed into the Python shell of ArcGIS Pro, referencing a web-hosted layer in my active map.  The script is a derivative of the following:

How To: Sort and create a sequentially ordered ID field in an attribute table in ArcGIS Pro 

I'm trying to sort the field Asset_ID_OLD and use this sequence to populate Asset_ID_ with sequential ID numbers, beginning with FH1.  This is what my script looks like:

import arcpy

sortFeat = r'Hydrants'
sortField = 'Asset_ID_OLD'
idField = 'Asset_ID_'
Count = 1
def Renum():
    global Count
    Interval = 1
    if Count == 1:
        New = "FH" + str(Count)
        Count += Interval
        return New
    else:
        New = "FH" + str(Count)
        Count += Interval
        return New

rows = arcpy.UpdateCursor(sortFeat, "", "", "", sortField + " A")

for row in rows:
    row.setValue(idField, Renum())
    rows.updateRow(row)

del row, rows

When I enter this code into the Python console, I get this message:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<string>", line 19, in <module>
  File "c:\program files\arcgis\pro\Resources\arcpy\arcpy\__init__.py", line 1213, in UpdateCursor
    return gp.updateCursor(dataset, where_clause, spatial_reference, fields, sort_fields)
  File "c:\program files\arcgis\pro\Resources\arcpy\arcpy\geoprocessing\_base.py", line 368, in updateCursor
    self._gp.UpdateCursor(*gp_fixargs(args, True)))
RuntimeError: ERROR 999999: Something unexpected caused the tool to fail. Contact Esri Technical Support (http://esriurl.com/support) to Report a Bug, and refer to the error help for potential solutions or workarounds.

What am I doing wrong?  Is it even possible to do this using a web-hosted layer?  Am I referencing the layer incorrectly?  Or is this another problem? 

Also, I'm not really sure what the + " A" part means in the original script...

Outcomes