AnsweredAssumed Answered

ArcGIS Online “Add members using their enterprise ID” - what value to use for “Enterprise ID”?

Question asked by TIDB02 on Dec 1, 2019
Latest reply on Dec 18, 2019 by TIDB02

We have ArcGIS Online configured for "enterprise" logins to authenticate against our MS Active Directory. I can add users from AD by sending them invitations in ArcGIS Online. They must respond to these emailed invitations for their account to be created in ArcGIS Online.

I would like to add AD users using the option, "Add members using their enterprise ID without sending invitations". This gets their account set up immediately, and then I can add them to groups, etc, without waiting for them to respond to an invitation.

However, to use this option, I have to include the user's "Enterprise ID".

What is this Enterprise ID, and how do I find out what a particular user's Enterprise ID is? Is it something I have to get from Active Directory? If so, how do I find it for various users?

(I have tried various combinations of username, email address, and organisation name and underscores, but with no luck.)

UPDATE

As per comments, I have now tried populating the "Enterprise ID" field using the format, DOMAIN\user.name (and DOMAIN/user.name), but it will not accept anything with either a \ or a / in it (no error, but the "Next" button does nothing). As soon as I remove the (back)slash, the "Next" button works as expected (but the account does not work because I don't know what I'm supposed to put in the "Enterprise ID" field.

I note that the examples in ESRI's documentation do not use this format. The examples there are "jonc1111" and "sati3554". See: https://doc.arcgis.com/en/arcgis-online/administer/invite-users.htm#ESRI_SECTION1_D4222EB63EF14C96BF37F1A098F37AFA

I feel like there's something very simple/obvious that I'm missing, like I'm looking at the problem through the wrong lens or something. I just can't figure out what I'm sure is supposed to be straightforward.

Outcomes