Automating updating a hosted vector tile layer

11-15-2019 08:03 AM
JakeJohnson
New Contributor III

Would there be a way to automate the packaging of a vector map all the way to replacing an existing VTPK/layer on AGOL? The whole process as I see it:

1. Finished map ready for packaging (done)
  2. Create a vector tile index then use it for creating a VTPK (done)
  3. Replace currently existing VTPK on AGOL which would then refresh the web layer created from it (not done)

The last step is what stumps me. It's easy to do manually but I can't find a method of doing it programmatically. I can't just Replace Web Layer because the VTPK only produces a layer if published. Updating the file from AGOL does not refresh the hosted tile layer.

My reasoning for wanting to do this is so I don't have to do it manually from start to finish. I like automating my job. Also, it removes human error and tends to be faster than clicking around. The most important reason is preventing any dependent maps from breaking during this entire process. If I upload a modified vector map it should update all maps using that layer as a basemap.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Jake,

What if you published the updated VTPK as a new Vector Tile Layer: Publishing packages as web layers | ArcGIS for Developers, then used Replace Service to push the updated tiles to the production layer? 

Replace Service: arcgis.gis module — arcgis 1.7.0 documentation 

Hope that helps ~

-Peter

0 Kudos
AndreasØhlenschlæger
New Contributor

I have a similar need. Is there not a way to link the hosted tile layer so that it automatically updates when the corresponding Vector Tile Package is updated?

- Andreas

0 Kudos