Cloning python environment in arcgis pro

10-23-2019 10:49 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi,

I am trying to clone the default python environment in ArcGIS Pro so I can configure a new environmetn, but keep getting an error every time I try to clone the default environment.  Is there a way around this issue?

This is the error message I am getting:

ERROR conda.core.link:_execute_actions(337): An error occurred while installing package 'defaults::ipykernel-5.1.0-py36h39e3cac_0'.
LinkError: post-link script failed for package defaults::ipykernel-5.1.0-py36h39e3cac_0
running your command again with `-v` will provide additional information
location of failed script: C:\Users\matt\AppData\Local\ESRI\conda\envs\downscale_climate\Scripts\.ipykernel-post-link.bat
==> script messages <==
<None>

Attempting to roll back.

LinkError: post-link script failed for package defaults::ipykernel-5.1.0-py36h39e3cac_0
running your command again with `-v` will provide additional information
location of failed script: C:\Users\matt\AppData\Local\ESRI\conda\envs\downscale_climate\Scripts\.ipykernel-post-link.bat
==> script messages <==
<None>

Matt

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
ShaunWalbridge
Esri Regular Contributor

Matt,

We've had sporadic reports of this issue for the specific version of the package in question, for some users just retrying the clone is sufficient to fix this. It sounds like it isn't in your case. If you have administrator access on your machine, you can upgrade components in the base arcgispro-py3 environment, though we usually don't have users do that because of issues it can cause on upgrading across releases. But if you're comfortable with doing that change, you can run Python Command Prompt as administrator, and then run "conda upgrade ipykernel". After this, the clone should work as the issue is specific to the ipykernel 5.1.0 package.

Hope that helps,

Shaun

DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Restoring environment to a previous revision – Anaconda Knowledge Base 

If things go bad

and 

>>>

conda install .... --dry-run

# or

conda update .... --dry-run

Copy and paste the results into a text editor for future reference.

You can also make an informed decision as to whether you want packages rolled back or extra fluff installed.

/blogs/dan_patterson/2018/12/28/clone 

/blogs/dan_patterson/2019/06/28/arcgis-pro-24-installation-package-updates-and-installs 

0 Kudos