AnsweredAssumed Answered

Trouble with ArcGIS Pro 2.3.2 sym.renderer.breakCount assignment

Question asked by JMossing on Oct 16, 2019
Latest reply on Oct 16, 2019 by JMossing

Experiencing trouble with ArcGIS Pro 2.3.2 sym.renderer to assign symbology to a layer in a map project using only python. I am automating map creation, and layer creation, symbolization. I am trying to assign symbology to a layer (polygons) using the GraduatedColorsRenderer. I update the renderer, classification method and assign it a field. Then I define the classBreakValues and the breakCount. I can only get one classification break even though i have defined 5 or more.

It appears that the sym.renderer.breakCount will not allow me to assign any value to it. Whenever I assign it to any integer it seems to not take it. When I print out the value of the sym.renderer.breakCount it is always set to 1 regardless of what I set it to. For the classification methods i have tried ManualInterval, EqualInterval, Quantile.

Here is my code:

for lyr in m.listLayers():

if lyr.name == "Binning Analysis":

sym = lyr.symbology
      sym
.updateRenderer('GraduatedColorsRenderer')

sym.renderer.colorRamp = aprx.listColorRamps('Blues (Continuous)')[0]

sym.renderer.classificationMethod = 'EqualInterval'

classBreakValues = [5, 15, 35, 60, 1000]

classBreakLabels = ["1 - 5", "6 - 15", "16 - 35", "36 - 60", "> 60"]

sym.renderer.breakCount = len(classBreakValues)

#sym.renderer.breakCount = 5

count = 0

for brk in sym.renderer.classBreaks:

brk.upperBound = classBreakValues[count]

brk.label = classBreakLabels[count]

count += 1

lyr.symbology = sym

I also put this code in the ArcGIS Pro Python window with a bunch of debug print statements to make sure all of my assignments were valid. Every thing seems valid. But the one thing that keeps happening in the Python window:

sym.renderer.breakCount = 5 #### Or any other number does not matter print(sym.renderer.breakCount) 1 ### always outputs 1 no matter what i assign

Can anyone assist? Any help would be appreciated, thank you.

Jay

Outcomes