Using Mobile Device for Ops Dashboard

Jump to solution
09-18-2019 08:24 AM
JeffGarcia2
New Contributor III

Hey Ops Dashboard world,

Just got a simple question and see how other folks go about accessing dashboards on mobile devices. I saw the blog post, Strategies & Best Practices for using Dashboards on your smartphone, by Derek Law. Good article and helped me along the path in design and functionality but know thinking about how my end users will access the dashboard. Is there an Dashboard app like the Explorer app available? Or is the only way to browse to AGOL and log in that way? Anybody else doing it differently. 

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Jeff,

> Is there an Dashboard app like the Explorer app available? Or is the only way to browse to AGOL and log in that way?

You would open and view a Dashboard on a mobile device via a web browser by logging into ArcGIS Online. However, I think you can also leverage ArcGIS Companion - an app designed for admins to administer an ArcGIS organization. I believe you can login to the app, then select and open a Dashboard (in a web browser, not in the app) - but I haven't tested this personally.

Hope this helps,

View solution in original post

7 Replies
DerekLaw

Hi Jeff,

> Is there an Dashboard app like the Explorer app available? Or is the only way to browse to AGOL and log in that way?

You would open and view a Dashboard on a mobile device via a web browser by logging into ArcGIS Online. However, I think you can also leverage ArcGIS Companion - an app designed for admins to administer an ArcGIS organization. I believe you can login to the app, then select and open a Dashboard (in a web browser, not in the app) - but I haven't tested this personally.

Hope this helps,

JeffGarcia2
New Contributor III

Any talk of creating an operations dashboard specific app down the line?

0 Kudos
DerekLaw

Hi Jeff,

No, we have no plans for an Ops Dashboard specific mobile app. In fact, you're the first request I've heard for this.

May I ask: what capabilities are missing when viewing a Dashboard in a web browser that's prompting you for a mobile app? Can you please share requirements/use case?

Thanks,

0 Kudos
JeffGarcia2
New Contributor III
 what capabilities are missing when viewing a Dashboard in a web browser that's prompting you for a mobile app?

Well nothing to be honest in this regards. When I browse and access the dashboard via AGOL it looks good, thanks to your guidance. The capabilities and functionality is as advertised. I would assume the app has same capabilities, not sure of the complexity behind all the mobile app tech.

Can you please share requirements/use case?

For me it's the ability for my end users to have the same experience as far Explorer, Survey123, Collector  apps. The ability to tap an app and have that access to that specific feature be it a general web map, survey or editable web map is invaluable to end users in my opinion. Easy and understandable. The dashboards fall into this category. I would want my executive mgmt, stakeholders and field personnel to have that experience versus browsing, signing into AGOL. I suppose i could just add a shortcut to their individual phones but seems out of line with the ESRI app ecosystem. Burdensome if the url changes and\or multiple dashboards become requested.

DerekLaw

Belated thanks for your comments Jeff.

0 Kudos
DavidNyenhuis1
Esri Contributor

We are excited to announce dashboard mobile views. Within your dashboard you can create another layout that is optimized for viewing on phones. 

Dave

ScottJones1
Occasional Contributor

Yes, but I think I have the same question as JeffGarcia2, I can create a shortcut on my mobile device to open a Survey123. I would like my managers to be able to click a shortcut on their homescreen to access the Mobile Dashboard...

0 Kudos