AnsweredAssumed Answered

XY coordinates and data frame correct but points are displayed in the wrong location.

Question asked by 6082327_uni_utrecht on Aug 28, 2019
Latest reply on Aug 30, 2019 by 6082327_uni_utrecht

Some background; I am working on a university project which includes data from GPS collars on Red Deer in the Netherlands. There are around 21,000 data points for 4 GPS collars (so 84,000 total data points). But I am have issues displaying them on the map. The points should be displayed in the Netherlands (close to Eindhoven) but instead they are being displayed either in the ocean near Nigeria or in the Red Sea.

I am using decimal coordinates (to 6 decimal places) and I have triple checked that the data frame and the layers are in WGS1984. I have used the simple "Display XY data" option from the drop down menu on the table of contents, I have used the "Make XY event layer" tool, and I have tried the "Project" tool on a shapefile made with the coordinates.

I have also saved the original excel workbook with the coordinates in the Excel 97-2003 format.

I am really lost about how to solve this! Is it possible that there could be a problem with the excel file?

Many thanks

Outcomes