Saving selection as variable in task step

08-27-2019 08:28 AM
TaraBoswell
New Contributor III

I just finished the Automating Workflows using ArcGIS Pro Tasks web course and I'm trying to create a Task for a current workflow. The course had an example where one task step embeds the Select tool to grab a trail segment and saves that selection to a variable called Trails for use in the next step, where Select by Location is embedded. Everything worked perfectly in the training data. I'm trying to do a very similar thing and created an identical task step with Select embedded, and Additional Actions set up to clear the selection when starting the step and Save Features or Records currently selected into a variable I called CopyFeatures.  In the next step, I'm trying to figure out how to take that selection and export them out to a new file that I need to reproject (need to change the coordinate system so I can then copy/paste those features into an AGOL layer). I set the step, using Record, to the Feature Class to Feature Class tool but when I go to the Input and click on the dropdown, I see all the layers in my Contents Pane but not the variable.

I thought maybe using variables doesn't work with that particular tool, so I tested setting the next step to Select by Location, mimicking the web course setup, and again, when I go to Selecting Features and click the dropdown, it shows me all the layers but NOT the variable. I DID save after each step.  I even went back to the actual ESRI Training data used in the web course, and in  THAT project, I modified the task steps to use a different variable name and went through to see if that new name showed up (figured maybe there's some settings on that aprx that I'm missing on mine) but it doesn't.

Am I missing something on how the variables work?? This seems like such a simple thing but I can't get it to function. Any tips/ideas would be super helpful.

Thanks!

Tara

0 Kudos
0 Replies