AnsweredAssumed Answered

How do you get Python packages installed with conda/pip to show up in the Python Package Manager?

Question asked by tthor on Jun 11, 2019
Latest reply on Jun 11, 2019 by tthor

I need access to Azure 4.0.0. There is (of course) a pip install available, but no conda install (highest version for conda install is 1.0.2). Accordingly, I created a cloned environment, and installed from the command line via conda and pip:

activate arcgispro-py3-azure-crypto (my cloned environment; pip is already in this environment, however, I did upgrade pip to 19.1.1.)

pip install azure

When I list packages in conda, everything looks fine:

Results of 'conda list'

However, when I look at the environment in Pro, nothing is there:

Installed Python packages

Available Python packages

Everything is working, which means the conda listing is correct (and the packages are installed in the appropriate envs directory, but not in the pkgs directory of <localappdata>\ESRI\conda), but it’s just not showing up in the Pro Python Package Manager. I did a little digging around, and it looks like the Python Package Manager is actually reading the above contents from C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Pro\bin\Python\pkg-metadata\metadata.json.

• Question 1: How do I get these pip-installed packages to show up in the Python Package Manager?
  • Question 2: Is the Python Package Manager reading from the metadata.json file, and if so, how do we update it?
  • Question 3 (and this is a larger question): What is the best practice for installing our stuff in conda world? Are we OK to install our own packages directly to the arcgispro-py3 environment, or should we be creating a new environment (or selecting another existing environment) and installing to that?

Thanks in advance!

Tracy

Outcomes