ArcObjects: How to get started

05-22-2019 03:49 AM
leonoestergaard
New Contributor III

Hi

I have a background as an application developer and my weapon of choice is  c# .net. Im very inexperiencedin the  GIS world. One of my first tasks is to create a tools that will search, update and insert a featureclass. For now Im just trying to get started. Can any one point me in a direction for some turtorials or training in ArcObjects?

Best regards

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Egge-Jan_Pollé
MVP Regular Contributor

Hi leon oestergaard‌,

Did you have a look at this one?

ArcObjects Help for .NET developers (ArcObjects .NET 10.7 SDK)

HTH,

Egge-Jan

forestknutsen1
MVP Regular Contributor

We are on 10.6.1 is this sdk compatible with our environment? 

0 Kudos
Egge-Jan_Pollé
MVP Regular Contributor

Hi forest knutsen‌,

You might have a look at What's new for developers at 10.7 (ArcObjects .NET 10.7 SDK) to see what you are missing.

HTH,

Egge-Jan

0 Kudos
RobertBurke
Esri Contributor

Of course I would highly recommend the Getting to Know ArcObjects book!  I bit out of date, but it does have some really great conceptual descriptions and takes place in ArcMap using VBA.  You could find a used copy for under ten dollars, online. 

Seriously though, if your only need is to create a tool to use In ArcMap, you should be looking at Model Builder or Python.  They are much easier to learn for the operations that you describe.

Suzanne-Boden
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Leon, check out the ArcGIS for Developers site. There are a lot of tutorials. Here's a link to .NET tutorials that may be useful for you: https://developers.arcgis.com/labs/?product=NET&topic=any.

Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

To Rob Burke's comment - you can buy Getting to Know ArcObjects on Amazon.com for $25.99 new or $5.59 used.