SMB3 protocol weirdness

05-09-2019 01:06 PM
BrianO_Donnell
New Contributor

Hi,

I administer a Samba server for users of ArcGIS Pro. They are able to create projects on their network share, but specifically when running "Create Feature Dataset", they will get the following error message:

ERROR 999999: Something unexpected caused the tool to fail. Contact Esri Technical Support (http://esriurl.com/support) to Report a Bug, and refer to the error help for potential solutions or workarounds.
 Invalid function arguments
 Invalid function arguments
 Cannot acquire a lock.
 Failed to execute (CreateFeatureDataset).

Following this KB article "fixes" the problem, but we're trying to find a server-side solution to the problem. One thing we've discovered is that if we cap the samba protocol at SMB2 (i.e. "max protocol = SMB2") or lower, the error does not occur. It only happens when users connect using the SMB3 protocol.

However, even more oddly, we've found that if the underlying filesystem on the samba server is a CoW filesystem such as ZFS of BTRFS then SMB3 does work without a problem. If the underlying filesystem is a traditional fs like xfs or ext4, then it does not. SMB2 connections don't seem to care which filesystem is in use.

This particular error is the only one users get while using ArcGIS, and we don't see it occur in any other programs, even though the samba server has literally thousands of users. This seems to be an extreme corner case, which makes researching it particularly hard. Unfortunately, it's also a problem that is very irritating to our users.

Any insight would be much appreciated! I can supply additional details on request.

Tags (3)
1 Reply
SickNIS
New Contributor II

Are you saying that on Windows 10 editing the DirectoryCacheLifetime and keeping the storage at SMB3 you were able to resolve the issue?   I don't have those results.

0 Kudos