Use Raster Calculator for Added Attribute Value

03-02-2011 05:05 AM
NealBanerjee
Occasional Contributor
Hello,

I have an integer raster that has codes from 1 - 12.  I have added a new integer field to the .vat that has a different integer corresponding to each of the 12 value fields.  I want to use the raster calculator to perform simple math functions, but want to use the added attribute field rather than the original value field.  Is there a way to do this?  Ive already tried the syntax [<grid name>].[<added attribute name>], but it didnt work.

Thanks in advance!

Neal
0 Kudos
9 Replies
PatrickTaurman
Occasional Contributor III
Hi Neal,

Are you using ArcGIS 10?

Patrick
0 Kudos
NealBanerjee
Occasional Contributor
Im using 9.2.

Thanks
Neal
0 Kudos
PatrickTaurman
Can you send me the syntax you are using in the Raster Calculator?  Also by didn't work, do you mean it failed and you got an error, or it worked, but the output is not what you were expecting?  If it failed, what error did you get?
0 Kudos
NealBanerjee
Occasional Contributor
Sure thing, syntax in raster calculator is below.  The name of the GRID is "lufumod3"  the name of the attibute field in the raster attribute table is "pctimpv".  In this simple case just trying to create a temporary grid equal 3 times the "pctimpv" value

[lufumod3].[pctimpv] * 3

The error I get is:
"the input string is not a geographic or projected coordinate system"

Error code doesnt make any sense to me, but I had assumed it had something to do how it is interpreting the syntax.

One other thing - Im using 9.3 (not 9.2)

Thanks again for looking into this for me

Neal
0 Kudos
PatrickTaurman
The following syntax works for me:

[rastername].fieldname * 3

You don't need square brackets around the name of the field, so your should look like this:

[lufumod3].pctimpv * 3

Try that and let me know.
0 Kudos
NealBanerjee
Occasional Contributor
That works - thanks again!
Neal
0 Kudos
RobertSchmidley
New Contributor
The following syntax works for me:

[rastername].fieldname * 3

You don't need square brackets around the name of the field, so your should look like this:

[lufumod3].pctimpv * 3

Try that and let me know.

How do you do this in ArcMap 10.0?
0 Kudos
PatrickTaurman
At ArcGIS 10, the Dot Notation does not work in the Raster Calculator.  Please see the thread here.  There is an enhancement request for this functionality.

Patrick
0 Kudos
RobertSchmidley
New Contributor
At ArcGIS 10, the Dot Notation does not work in the Raster Calculator.  Please see the thread here.  There is an enhancement request for this functionality.

Patrick

Patrick,

THANKS!
0 Kudos