heat map animation

04-10-2019 02:03 PM
DeniseKlein1
New Contributor

What I want to do seems fairly straightforward.  I have a dataset with 11 months of data.  I want to display each month as a heat map and then run through them to show the shifting of hot spot locations.  I created a keyframe for each month but when I press Play, nothing displays except at the end, the last frame.  I've played with timing, holds but nothing seems to work.  I thought maybe it was taking too long to draw so I moved everything local, that didn't help.  I created .tifs thinking that might help but that didn't work either.  I also tried creating an animation from the time slider but I cannot get the symbology to look the same.  Anyone have any suggestions?  thanks!

0 Kudos
5 Replies
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Denise-  did you ever get anywhere with this?  I compiled 3 years worth of crime data into one point feature class, where the identifying field is 'year'.  Using a definition query, I display the first year and add a key frame; I then repeat that process for the other two years.  After fiddling with it for a while, the best I get in the playback is 30 seconds of the same year (year 1).  As you mention it seems like it should be pretty straight forward, but....

That should just about do it....
0 Kudos
DeniseKlein1
New Contributor

I did not. I ended up making a PowerPoint slide show! Not the best solution but at least it did what I wanted! Good luck.

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

I had the same thought, and I've got a tech support case open. If/when I get it figured out, I'll post the solution.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Ryan_ESRICommunity
New Contributor II

Hi Joe, Just encountered a similar issue when animating the "Heat Map" symbology . Was ESRI tech able to provide you with a solution? 

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

What I wanted to do, ArcGIS Pro cannot.  Seems odd, but that's what I was told.