ArCGIS Pro 2.3 - How to apply coded values domains when copy & paste feature classes?

Jump to solution
03-25-2019 10:19 AM
VincentLaunstorfer
Occasional Contributor III

Hi,

I work with a File Geodatabase and I selected features in a features classes, right-click and Data -> Export Features. It made a new Feature Class (with same field attributes) in the same Feature Dataset stored in the same File Geodatabase. So far, all looked nice...

However, I discovered that the exported Feature Class do not point to the Domains stored in the File Geodatabase! I can right-click the File Geodatabase -> Domains to visualize that all Domains are here.

But how I can apply all these Domains to my new exported Feature Class?

PS: If I use other Geoprocessing tools, such a Feature to Points, I have the same problem.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Go to the Fields Designer for the newly exported feature class in the same file geodatabase and for the Domain column in the designer, select the domain you wish to apply to that field.  Click Save on the Fields on the tab.  Now the field points to the domain as does the original source.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Go to the Fields Designer for the newly exported feature class in the same file geodatabase and for the Domain column in the designer, select the domain you wish to apply to that field.  Click Save on the Fields on the tab.  Now the field points to the domain as does the original source.

VincentLaunstorfer
Occasional Contributor III

Thanks for the clarification.

In the meantime, it would be great to maintain all Domains when any geoprocessing or export are performed within the same FGDB to avoid confusion and extra work. If there was many fields referencing Domains to "repair"/"rebuilt", this could be tedious and prone to errors. This is an idea for a future Pro release...

0 Kudos
ThomasColson
MVP Frequent Contributor

Sounds similar to BUG-000120808 : Unable to import domain assignments when creating a new feature class in ArcGIS Pro.

0 Kudos