How to delete basemap .tpk?

Jump to solution
03-18-2019 11:14 AM
ECECGIS
New Contributor II

Hello,

The new Collector seems to have left out the ability to delete old basemaps like Collector Classic has.

I often upload a .tpk thru iTunes which we use as a basemap for field work. It gets loaded up just fine, but I do need to remove them, because they are about 3gb each and they are beginning to pile up in the new Collector app and will cause a space issue in our iPads.

Guidance would be apprecaited!

Thank you

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
CarolGhostine
Esri Contributor

Hi,

If you want to remove individual TPK files you'll need to follow these instruction Sync and manage offline map areas—Collector for ArcGIS | ArcGIS. Basically you'll need to save the 'Basemaps' folder to your PC, then delete the individual folders for each TPK you want removed off your device. You'll then copy back the updated 'Basemaps' folder to its original location in iTunes and restart Collector to see the change. Unfortunately its not an easy click and delete for individual TPKS as it would to delete all of them in one shot. Let me know if you have any further questions. 

Carol

View solution in original post

4 Replies
CarolGhostine
Esri Contributor

In the new Collector you will need to use iTunes to Add and Remove .tpk files off your device. Select the 'Basemaps' folder on your device then press the delete key on your keyboard. This will remove all TPKs off your device. If you want to remove individual TPKs you will need to follow these instructions Sync and manage offline map areas—Collector for ArcGIS | ArcGIS 

0 Kudos
ECECGIS
New Contributor II

I've looked into this. I see a folder called "Basemaps", but I cannot open it nor drill into it to find the base maps I want to delete. The only actions I have are "Add File..." and "Save..."

0 Kudos
CarolGhostine
Esri Contributor

Hi,

If you want to remove individual TPK files you'll need to follow these instruction Sync and manage offline map areas—Collector for ArcGIS | ArcGIS. Basically you'll need to save the 'Basemaps' folder to your PC, then delete the individual folders for each TPK you want removed off your device. You'll then copy back the updated 'Basemaps' folder to its original location in iTunes and restart Collector to see the change. Unfortunately its not an easy click and delete for individual TPKS as it would to delete all of them in one shot. Let me know if you have any further questions. 

Carol

LanceCase
Occasional Contributor

Hello,

As of Collector for ArcGIS (June 2019), "Using the Files app", you can now import .TPK files AND delete them.  When you import a .TPK file into the Collector folder within the Files app.  The next time you open Collector, the imported .TPK file will be moved to the Basemaps folder and placed inside a sub-folder with a random character string name.  To delete a .TPK basemap file, just open the Collector "folder" in the Files app, open the Basemaps folder, and open each folder until you locate the .TPK basemap file you wish to delete.  Delete the folder containing the basemap file.  

I agree, this was easier in the Collector Classic app b/c you didn't need to leave the app nor hunt through folders looking for which one holds the .TPK file you want to delete.

Hope this helps!

0 Kudos