Select to view content in your preferred language

Unable to Save Contingent Values in ArcGIS Pro 2.3.0

03-05-2019 11:36 AM
EmilyKuhn
Emerging Contributor

I am trying to create a template for vineyard field data collection in Collector.  For efficiency and data integrity sake, I have defined sub types and domains.  I would also like to assign contingent values.  However, for some reason, ArcPro will not let me do so. 

The field save button is not grayed out when I edit fields, subtypes or domains.  I can edit and save in those tabs, no problem.  It also allows me to define the Field Groups and Contingent Values with no error messages.

There is no attribute data currently being edited; the attribute table is empty.

I've restarted the program numerous times with the same result.  The save button is just always greyed out in the contingent values tab, and I am unable to save anything there.

Does anyone know what I am doing wrong?

Thank you so much, any advice is appreciated.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
SarahMcDonald_Esri
Esri Contributor

Do you by chance have any unsaved edits in the Map you have open?

0 Kudos
EmilyKuhn
Emerging Contributor

No, I don't believe so.  That was the first thing I found in troubleshooting on the topic.  I am not super awesome at Arc Pro yet, but I don't believe I have any unsaved edits anywhere.  To be sure, I exited the program and restarted it.  Upon restarting I ran into the same road block; unable to save Contingent Values.

(Hi Sarah!!!)

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Did you find any resolution to contingent values not saving - I'm having the same issue.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I wondering if this is a licensing issue - the docs say it is available at all editions of ArcGIS Pro - but I'm wondering if it is in error and only available at standard edition and up.

0 Kudos
EmilyKuhn
Emerging Contributor

I have an advanced license so I don't think it comes down to licensing.

I have not been able to resolve this issue.  I gave up and started waiting for Pro 2.4. Maybe it will be fixed...

Plus through my field applications it became apparent that there is still a lot of troubleshooting to be done with subtypes and domains. For myself, I think that using contingent values when they're still so new in the program will only lead to data extraction problems down the line.

Since using the Collector app, I have realized that my domain descriptions are lost when I revert my data back into Desktop or Pro unless the same domain is applied across all fields.  The program allows you to selectively apply domains to specific fields based on what subtype was selected in the subtypes view.  This function made my data collection templates in Collector super precise and extremely user friendly.  Applying domains in this fashion worked great for the data collection part. 

However, when it came time to revert data back into a FGDB I could not get domain descriptions out for any domain that wasn't applied across an entire field. From both a data management, and field collection perspective, it was a huge bummer. 

I had to rework my data collection template so that every domain had its own field. And for my data, each subtype has its own set of location domains, among other things.  So you can imagine the number of unused fields I have for each collection point.  My template is long and clunky and requires a lot of back end clean up after it's exported into Excel. 

But hey, at least my domain descriptions are there! 

So given this experience, I am going to hold off on implementing contingent values into any of my data collection templates until I know it's a functioning feature (from a data management perspective).

Good luck!

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Alohas & many thanks for your response!

Thanks for confirming that this is probably a bug.  The reason I thought it might be a licensing issue is I also tried creating a field group using the geoprocessing tool add field groups - but it said it was not available due to licensing - which I thought was odd since adding contingent values (which creates field groups ) is documented as being available through all licensing options.

SubTypes may be the way to go.

When you say domain descriptions are lost - are you saying only the coded value is only viewable?  

Currently each field that has a domain has a unique domain. Domains are texted based.  Except for the one utilized for subtypes.

0 Kudos