Raster Image Clip

Jump to solution
03-01-2019 07:52 AM
ChuckTurlington
Occasional Contributor II

Hello,

I am using ArcMap 10.4.1

I have reviewed the raster image clipping workflow: drilling down into arc toolbox and selecting raster, clip.  The tiff image I have is a digital photograph, high resolution, aerial type.  However, I found that the ArcMap takes too long to clip the image, or fails altogether.  I filled-in the clip dialog with different selections to try and optimize the processing.  I assume the size of the image is a factor in it taking a long time to clip or failing to clip.  Does anyone know what selections would be best for a large tiff image (2.5E6 KB), to optimize the clipping process, or is there another workflow altogether that would be better to try?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

you are probably running out of memory... since arcmap is restricted to about 4 gig under clear skies with nothing else running

You might want to try it via code so that it isn't loading the image into arcmap.  See the example code snippet in the help

Clip Raster—Data Management toolbox | ArcGIS Desktop 

View solution in original post

1 Reply
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

you are probably running out of memory... since arcmap is restricted to about 4 gig under clear skies with nothing else running

You might want to try it via code so that it isn't loading the image into arcmap.  See the example code snippet in the help

Clip Raster—Data Management toolbox | ArcGIS Desktop