AnsweredAssumed Answered

Add XY Point Data in ArcGIS Pro - Not with Excel 2016

Question asked by jrflannery on Feb 26, 2019
Latest reply on Feb 28, 2019 by jrflannery

One step forward, one step back.

I so want to migrate to ArcGIS Pro, but little things like this keep me in ArcMap.

I have a table in a Microsoft Excel 2016 spreadsheet with attribute information plus latitude and longitude fields.  I want to add the data to my ArcGIS Pro map and, optionally, create a new point feature class from the table.

In ArcMap 10.5.1, the Add XY Data dialog window gives you drop-downs for choosing the X and Y fields from the Excel 2016 spreadsheet (*.xlsx file format). Everything works as expected.

In the ArcGIS Pro XY Table to Point tool, there are no drop-downs for choosing the X and Y fields from the spreadsheet and the tool automatically creates a feature class in your default FGDB!

I manually type in my Lat/Lon field names, and it apparently does not like the spreadsheet field names I am using?  Oh, no, that’s not the problem!

<< Excel Spreadsheet fields

If I add the Excel table to my ArcPro map’s TOC and open the table to view it, first off, I see that my field names are not being recognized.  I see Field1, Field2, etc. with my field names in the next row down.

Secondly, I see that my Lat/Lon fields are being recognized as “Text” fields, even though I purposely made them Number fields in the Excel spreadsheet.

From Esri:

“ArcGIS Pro supports XLSX files (Excel 2007) and XLS files (Excel 2003 and earlier).”

Source: https://community.esri.com/groups/esri-training/blog/2017/05/26/working-with-excel-data-in-arcgis-pro

Export the Excel spreadsheet to a an earlier version of Excel or to a CSV file and everything works!!

CSV File in Pro

Now the XY Table to Point tool shows drop-downs for my table fields and it automatically recognized Longitude and Latitude as my coordinate fields.

I can use an Excel 2016 spreadsheet in ArcMap 10.5.1, but I can't use it in ArcGIS Pro 2.3.  It is sad to me that this wildly popular workflow is not functional, yet, in ArcGIS Pro.

Outcomes