Projection Workflow

Jump to solution
02-24-2019 04:43 PM
ChuckTurlington
Occasional Contributor II

Hello,

I am using ArcMap 10.4.1.

After watching the ESRI video presentation titled "Introducing Coordinate Systems and Transformations", under the subtitle "What is Happening When We Project Data?", under Case 2: Each PCS contains a different GCS; describes the projection as Un-projecting PCS A1 to GCS A->Transforming Geographic Datum to GCS B->then Projecting to PCS B1 as shown graphically in the attached screen shot.   

After reviewing this information I am assuming that the ArcMap program is following this workflow, when the projection path is pre-defined.  If the path is not pre-defined, then manually following this method is a logical solution.  I have to ask if my understanding is correct; that the workflow presented may be a manual procedure if the projection path is not defined, following the above steps?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

transformations work in both directions ie nad83 <=> wgs84

As for vertical ones, I suspect the same, but Melita Kennedy‌ could probably confirm.

I prefer human-aware to automagic in any event

View solution in original post

8 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Your screen shot is the case when the datum of the geographic coordinate systems.  ie. the case where you want to "project" from a utm nad 27 to a utm nad 83... the projection requires a datum transformation, which is the part at the bottom of the image, unproject from nad27 utm to a geographic coordinate system of a defined ellipsoid.  perform the transformation to a different geographic coordinate system with the new ellipsoid, and finally project it to a utm in the new datum.  If the ellipsoids are the same, then there is no datum transformation required

ChuckTurlington

Dan,

Are these steps performed automatically, or is the user expected to know what steps to perform in such a coordinate system change, as in the example screen shot ?

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

it you go from utm nad27 to utm nad83, you should get offered a transformation option in the lower part of the dialog, if not, I would select one, being the sentient one .

I only work with projected data usually and I don't have anything in different datums to test..  you could also try a multistep utm27 to GCSNAD83 (or even GCSWGS84), and it should also want the datum change, then GCSNAD83 to UTM 83

ChuckTurlington

Dan,

Are there multi-steps outlined in a white paper for other coordinate reference changes such as WGS84 to NAD83, and for vertical transformations/re-projections such as MSL to NAVD88, or NVGD29 to MSL or NAVD88, etc.?  We get a variety of different coordinate references and datums, and often have difficulties getting a proper transformation/projection without a lot of time and headache.  It seems I may not be using the correct multi-steps to get the desired results.  Also, some other software like NGS tools, I believe do not perform these multi-steps automatically, so require some additional user knowledge of what the multi-steps are to get proper results.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

transformations work in both directions ie nad83 <=> wgs84

As for vertical ones, I suspect the same, but Melita Kennedy‌ could probably confirm.

I prefer human-aware to automagic in any event

MelitaKennedy
Esri Notable Contributor

So all transformations are bidirectional / reversible. They have to be to support raster reprojection/transformation (we project extent and some points to create the output raster, then fill it by projecting sections back to the original to get the cell values). 

I need to work on documents for the US and Canada for the horizontal side--NAD83 and its realizations/re-adjustments. 

Melita

ChuckTurlington

Melita,

Thank you for your support with all my questions. 

The subject of a multi-step procedure to transform and/or project a datum(s), is a very technical subject, with many different exceptions and rules I am learning.  I guess, if I do not get a transformation/projection path listed in the right hand panel in ArcMap, then I need to try a different "logical" step" until I get a path that can lead to a transformation/projection.   Or can I assume that I will always go from the projected datum to the geographic datum, transform to the new geographic datum, then project back to the new projected datum? 

0 Kudos
MelitaKennedy
Esri Notable Contributor

Yes, that's correct.