Create single features from Union output

Jump to solution
02-25-2019 06:12 AM
DwightLanier
New Contributor III

I have a single feature class containing numerous polygons that overlap in different ways.  After running the union tool I now have multiple polygons where the input features overlapped, but there are multiple polygons for each input.  What I would like is a single polygon at the intersected space, with attributes from all original input features appended, or some statistic from them (min, max, etc.).  Ideas?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
GhislainPrince
Esri Contributor

hi Dwight,

first make a copy of your data.

What you'd want to do is identify all the features with identical geometry.  This can be done with the `Find Identical` gp tool.  

Then get your stats together:  the output of previous step you could use  as input to `Summary Statistics` gp tool with the FEAT_SEQ as the CASE_FIELD and choose whichever stats you want for each field. 

Lastly you'll need to get the data back together into a single dataset... i think `Delete Identical` and `Join Fields` should do it ... there'll be a bit of trickiness to getting the JOIN , but pretty sure all the data is there.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/tool-reference/data-management/multipart-to-singlepart.htm 

in both arcmap and ArcGIS pro will convert the multiparts to singleparts resulting in unique records for each geometry entity

GhislainPrince
Esri Contributor

hi Dwight,

first make a copy of your data.

What you'd want to do is identify all the features with identical geometry.  This can be done with the `Find Identical` gp tool.  

Then get your stats together:  the output of previous step you could use  as input to `Summary Statistics` gp tool with the FEAT_SEQ as the CASE_FIELD and choose whichever stats you want for each field. 

Lastly you'll need to get the data back together into a single dataset... i think `Delete Identical` and `Join Fields` should do it ... there'll be a bit of trickiness to getting the JOIN , but pretty sure all the data is there.

DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

could be the gap/no-gap thing as well if the geometries aren't identical (ie polygons surrounded by other polygons)

0 Kudos