Python Add-In Extension 'enabled' / 'autoload' behaviour

02-21-2019 05:25 PM
TI
by
Occasional Contributor II

I have a Python add-in that includes an extension.  The only purpose if this extension is for some buttons in the add-in to be automatically enabled/disabled depending on if there are relevant layers in the current MXD's table on contents.

Therefore I need this extension to be loaded automatically when this add-in is installed.

AND I need this extension to be enabled right from the start.

In the config.xml, 'autoLoad' is set to 'true'.  In the Python class, the __init__ function for the extension class includes:

self.enabled = True

However, when I install the add-in and run ArcMap, the extensions dialog shows the extension but NOT checked.

Now, I have found that if I run something like:

myExtension.enabled = True

Within the __init__ method of some other toolbar class (eg, one of the buttons), then the extension IS CHECKED in the extensions dialog!  However, it doesn't actually work.  If I then quit ArcMap and restart ArcMap, the extension works fine (presumably because it remained enabled from the previous run of ArcMap).

So I can get the desired behaviour ONLY if I do BOTH of the following ODD things:

• enable the extension in the class of some other add-in button
  • launch, quit, launch ArcMap

Is it possible to get a Python add-in extension to automatically load and be enabled by default when the add-in is installed by any other means?

0 Kudos
0 Replies