How to solve huge radius problem when creating circles?

02-20-2019 05:56 AM
İbrahim_KaanÖzgencil
New Contributor II

When I'm trying to create a circle with a certain radius, say 50 m, I end up with 5000 km radius huge circle. I tried playing around with the projections but no... Nothing helps. And this is driving me crazy. I make sure that the unit is "meter" and the radius really is 50 m. What is wrong with this tool? I'm using circle tool to create a circle for a polygon feature. I use ArcGIS Pro 2.2.3. 

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
MarkShymanski
New Contributor III

What scale is the map you are creating the radius on?  Is there a similar relationship of the size of circle you are drawing to the circle being mapped?  What is the native coordinates system for the data you are drawing the radius on?

Sometime when looking at this sort of problem it helps to step back, look at the whole problem and see if you can isolate individual components that may be producing the undesirable outcome.  Once you isolate them you can then systematically research for solutions, or set up experiments that will systematically work through one variable at a time until you get to a solution.  Of course the  more you become familiar with the tools of your trade, this experimenting process becomes less formal and more 'intuitive', but you have to start developing a method for solving these sorts of questions so when a larger more complex problem occurs you are able to apply the tried and trued 'solution developing methods' that you have built up over time.

HTH,

Mark Shymanski

0 Kudos
İbrahim_KaanÖzgencil
New Contributor II

Dear Mark,

Thank you so much for the answer. I followed your advise and tried to isolate everything. It turned out that the reason was incompatibility in projections of the some of the layers and the basemap. I fixed it and the circles are now 50 m in reality. Have a nice day.

Cheers,

Kaan 

MarkShymanski
New Contributor III

Good morning Kaan,

I am glad I could help.

Mark

0 Kudos