AnsweredAssumed Answered

How do I create a new sequence of a point feature based on two corresponding fields?

Question asked by cstallings on Feb 13, 2019
Latest reply on Mar 23, 2019 by rvburton

I have a point file that has two fields with values that represent its neighboring point. We will call them Up for the point above it and down for the point below it for this.  For example Up field is 1205 and the down field is 1201. For the next point in that sequence the up field is 1201 and the down field is 991. For the next point the up is 991 and the down is 977. The down field always indicates correctly the next point in the sequence however the numbers are not sequential. Also to add to the problem, they are string values and they may include a letter such as 981a however there is always a matching value for that in the next point in the opposite field. The final issue is that sometimes the sequence stops which would represent the end of one line feature and a new sequence begins that would represent the beginning of a new line feature.  I would like to build a new field that can properly sequence these points so that I can convert this point file to a line file. Ideally I would like to do this in a way that I can incorporate it into a larger model. I really appreciate any help you can provide or other suggestions on how to approach the problem.

Thanks.

Outcomes