Project tool not working

02-12-2019 04:55 PM
GaryZhang1
New Contributor

I am using ArcGIS Pro and I have added 2 XY data point layers onto my map, which both have longitude and latitude coordinates. I need to use the Near tool to calculate nearest distance using these 2 layers but it when I do it will show as decimal degrees so I am trying to get both layers to a projected coordinate system first and then calculate meters. After I use the project tool, I go to check the spatial reference for both of the layers but it is showing both GCS and projected for both of the layers. See picture. Why isn't it just showing the projected one? 

So when I use the near tool, the distance units is not decimal degrees but I know it is still wrong. I am trying to get it into meters. What I am doing wrong?

Thanks in advance. 

0 Kudos
9 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

did you project to web Mercator? which is a projected coordinate system... it is also useless if you require distance and/or area calculations.  

I would project to a better projected coordinate system (ie some UTM or similar for your area)

GaryZhang1
New Contributor

Hello I tried projecting it a UTM (NAD 1983) but am getting this error: Do you know how to resolve this? Thanks. 

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Gary, have you examined the extent (through layer properties) to see what your coordinates actually are?

Maybe it is a projected file, defined as unprojected, or vica versa.

In any event the 'extent' doesn't fit into the utm zone if it were to be projected,

Report the left, top, right and bottom of the extent of your data first

GaryZhang1
New Contributor

Here is a screenshot of one of the layers extent. I just need to get this into the projected coordinate system so I can calculate the correct distance using the near tool. The data has XY longitude latitude fields and was added as point data. 

0 Kudos
GaryZhang1
New Contributor

Thank you, that worked and it is now in UTM and the linear unit is meters. However this did not change the values that were calculated after I use the near tool. The "NEAR_DIST" field that was created still shows the same values as when it was projected to web mercator. 

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

meaning your locations were close together.  My warning is more general... don't use web Mercator for anything that requires geometry calculations unless you understand the ramifications

0 Kudos
MervynLotter
Occasional Contributor III

From my somewhat limited understanding of this .... and I welcome to be corrected here

If you have defined a vertical coordinate system, then you may get up to 3 spatial references listed here. The top one is the projection of your data. The second one describes the modelled shape of the earth - your datum/ellipsoid/spheroid (also referred to as  geographic coordinate system by Esri). And if you have a third one, it would be the vertical coordinate system.  From your screengrab, you will notice that the two spatial references are different as only the second one refers to the datum and spheroid.

If your data is not projected, and it is in geographic coordinates, then only one spatial reference will be provided to you (the second geographic coordinate system in your screengrab with spheroid and ellipsoid).  

Do see Coordinate systems, projections, and transformations—Properties of maps | ArcGIS Desktop 

MelitaKennedy
Esri Notable Contributor

Gary, 

For your original question, a projected coordinate system is always based upon a geographic coordinate system (GCS). The GCS defines size and shape of the earth model being used, then the PCS describes how to convert it to a 2D surface/plane.

Melita