Text elements in a layout will not move with arrow keys

01-31-2019 03:47 PM
TonyHowze
Occasional Contributor

Updated to 2.3, and now we are having problems moving graphic text in a layout using Shift + direction arrow keys.  Sometimes it works when you zoom into the text, select it, right-click and choose "Select" in the context menu.  Or move the text with the mouse first, then immediately move with the arrow keys. 

Also, when I get the arrow keys to move the text, the text is jumping back to previous positions when I hit the direction key multiple times.  

0 Kudos
1 Reply
TomBole
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Tony, 

I think what might be happening is that the focus of the application is switching from the Layout View to the Contents Pane after you select the text (or any layout item). This means that keyboard strokes will be applied to the Contents Pane instead of to the Layout View. If you manually select items on the Layout View (Layout View has focus) the focus should not switch to the Contents Pane.

To see what view or pane has focus pay attention to the blue indicator.

In this screenshot the Contents Pane has focus. Any keyboard strokes will apply to the Contents Pane.

Here the Layout View has focus. Here the keyboard strokes will apply to the Layout View, or selected item(s).

The issue you're reporting appears to be a bug with version 2.3. This issue should be addressed in the next release. 

To work around this use Shift+Tab or Alt+F7 to bring up a window to bring up open panes and views.

Here you can select the layout you were working with. This should force the focus back on the Layout View.

Hope this helps, 

Tom

0 Kudos