How to dissolve parcels by owner name?

01-27-2019 03:22 PM
deleted-user-yC5VkbyXzrQR
Occasional Contributor

Hello, 
I'm looking for a work flow to properly dissolve parcel by the same owner. 

Currently we use the address field to dissolve parcels. Usually parcel owners will have one common (almost unique ID) to dissolve by. However the problem is that a Owner can have multiple addresses (on different parcels), some owners share the same address and the Address field is not always consistent (for ex. the same owner can have the following, Address = 123 east Adams st or Address = 123 E. Adams ST.) 

The problem is that the data is not clean and consistent, especially the Owner Name field. Sometimes it will have his wife name in the owner name or his middle initial or his companies name. There are usually 50,000 parcels + so cleaning the data will be to time consuming and impossible.

I want to create a layer that shows all the different owners and what land they own in one feature class. 1 owner = 1 polygon (usually owners own multiple parcels). I can't dissolve by owner name or address! Anyone have any idea out there? 

Regards,

0 Kudos
2 Replies
NeilAyres
MVP Alum

Sorry, but usually its garbage in - garbage out.

If the data is wrong or inconsistent as you say.... How are you going to dissolve by owner name if the same owner has "different" names? Need to fix the data or find a better source.

deleted-user-yC5VkbyXzrQR
Occasional Contributor

We're using the Mailing Address field to dissolve. Usually that has better data consistency than the owner name, since some parcels have their wife's name on the parcel or their company. 

I agree that better data would solve the issue but getting parcel data for a whole county that is 100% accurate is nearly impossible. Do you know of any sources that can provide parcel data? 

0 Kudos