Controlling z order of individual features in the same layer

Jump to solution
01-21-2019 05:15 PM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Does anyone know of a way to control the visual z order of individual features in the same layer?

e.g.

Say I draw two overlapping circles in the same feature layer. One is attributed with 'A' and the other as 'B'. I always want 'A' to display above 'B'. In fact, I want all circles attributed with 'A' to display above all the 'B' ones, no matter what order they got created/digitized.

The only way I can think at the moment is by adding the layer twice, with definition expressions, and thereby controlling which 'layer' is above the other. But does anyone know of a way to do it in the same layer using symbology of some sort?

cheers,

-Paul

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
LucasDanzinger
Esri Frequent Contributor

I don't believe there is a way at the moment. As a workaround for the time being, you could create a Graphic based on the symbol and geometry of the feature that you desire to "promote" and add a graphic to an overlay to give the illusion that the z index is changing

View solution in original post

4 Replies
ErwinSoekianto
Esri Regular Contributor

Looping in ArcGIS Runtime SDK for Qt‌ to see if anyone know how to do this. 

0 Kudos
LucasDanzinger
Esri Frequent Contributor

I don't believe there is a way at the moment. As a workaround for the time being, you could create a Graphic based on the symbol and geometry of the feature that you desire to "promote" and add a graphic to an overlay to give the illusion that the z index is changing

BillFox
MVP Frequent Contributor

Is this referring to a vertical coordinate system?

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Bill

No, the actual vertical elevation of a feature I think matters in a SceneView where features are actually rendered in 3D space, but here I'm just referring to a basic 2D MapView. So when I mentioned "Z value" I had in mind more what Luke meant re the "z value" of a Graphic which defines the stacking order of graphics on the screen.

Cheers,

-Paul