Python script to run when collecting features?

Jump to solution
01-18-2019 10:54 AM
MKF62
by
Occasional Contributor III

This is probably a dumb question as I'm just looking into using ArcCollector, but can you actually fire a python script within collector? For instance, say a user input a wind value in mph but we want to bin that value into some integer like 1, 2, or 3 based on differing ranges of mph (there's probably some other way to do this in the app without scripting, but just humor me here). Can you set it up to do that in real time when collecting features or is that kind of thing only doable after they have synced to the database or AGOL or whatever it is? Basically, they'd fill out a field which would trigger the script.

Also important to note, they'd largely be collecting data offline and need to sync later.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
KevinBurke
Esri Contributor

Hi Molly,

To answer your question, while you cannot utilize python scripts directly in Collector, you should be able to utilize Arcade expressions to perform these types of real-time calculations in the field. Please refer to Use Arcade Expressions to Map Your Ideas 

Also refer to configuring popups in ArcGIS Online - Configure pop-ups—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS 

Essentially in ArcGIS Online, in the popup configuration for the layer you're collecting in, you will create a new expression field to store the value based off the expression you've created to perform this calculation.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks

-Kevin

View solution in original post

1 Reply
KevinBurke
Esri Contributor

Hi Molly,

To answer your question, while you cannot utilize python scripts directly in Collector, you should be able to utilize Arcade expressions to perform these types of real-time calculations in the field. Please refer to Use Arcade Expressions to Map Your Ideas 

Also refer to configuring popups in ArcGIS Online - Configure pop-ups—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS 

Essentially in ArcGIS Online, in the popup configuration for the layer you're collecting in, you will create a new expression field to store the value based off the expression you've created to perform this calculation.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks

-Kevin