Can't create object in feature class

01-14-2019 03:22 AM
DanielDooley
New Contributor II

Hello. I am very new to both GIS and ArcGIS so please forgive me if my ignorance shows. I tried to search on this issue but don't really know enough exact terms to do so. Here is the issue:

I have created a feature class in order to add a variety of points to a map. The points are simple things such as metro stops, cafe's, shopping centers, etc. I created a feature class and in the attribute table added 6 or so of these items and symbolized them based on a type field. Using this I am able to add any of these items to the map, which I have done for several. The problem came when I decided to add a new type of object (bus stop) after having added multiples of the first set of objects. I added the new type to the attribute table and it appeared as expected in the symbols page so I was able to add that to it. The problem is when I then hit the edit -> create and want to put one of these new object types on the map the new object (bus stop) doesn't show up in the list of create choices in the feature class. All the original ones I created are there.

I assume this has to do with the fact that I created this new object after having added multiple instances of the original objects to the map/attributes table so this new type is below them in the table. I am guessing that if I deleted all the objects but the original types, it would work fine but I have to assume there is a proper way to add a new type after having added other objects. Am I missing something or do I need to clear out the created objects and start out making sure to enter all my object types first? Would and export/import solve this?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Asrujit_SenGupta
MVP Regular Contributor

Close and reopen the application and then check again .

0 Kudos
DanielDooley
New Contributor II

Hello. I’ve tried that multiple times to no effect. I even loaded the project on another computer and see the exact same behavior.

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Sounds like your Feature Template is not showing bus stops.  What I would do is delete the current Feature Template and create a new one using the steps in the link.  Does that resolve the issue?

0 Kudos
DanielDooley
New Contributor II

I’m sure this will work. My question is should I be able to add a new type to an existing populated feature class and have it work or do you have to add all the types in the beginning and then do an export/import if you need to add a new type? I just don’t want to keep running into this if it is a program limitation.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

One workflow to avoid all this is to subtype your geodatabase data if the categories are reasonably set.  Then whenever you add it to a new map or want to edit, the software recognizes the categories of data automatically.

0 Kudos
DanielDooley
New Contributor II

Ok, I’ll look into doing that.

Thanks!

0 Kudos