Trouble with edited attribute tables

12-26-2018 08:05 PM
ChrisTruty
New Contributor II

I have a feature class that has 100 features in it.  Once an field in the attribute table for a feature is edited, the feature loses the symbol that was assigned to it and goes to the 'All Other' category and the symbol can no longer be edited.  In addition, I'm trying to use a table frame in a layout and if I choose a feature class that has an edited attribute table the data does not display in the table frame.  Data from non-edited feature classes display.  Are both these problems connected and how can I fix this?  The data edits were made directly into the attribute table and not through the attribute pane.  Thank you  #attributes #attribute_table #table_layout

0 Kudos
7 Replies
MervynLotter
Occasional Contributor III

I can only comment on the symbology issue and it sounds like the software is behaving as expected.

If the symbology is linked to an attribute through Unique Values, and you change the attribute value through editing, then Pro wont know how to render the new attribute item and it will automatically be assigned to the "All other" category. This is expected. To render the new attribute values is easy though, you need to click on the large + plus sign to "Add unlisted values" and the list of unrendered attribute values will be provided to you. Select the value or values to include then click on OK.  They will then be added to your symbology options.

ChrisTruty
New Contributor II

I agree that changing the field that the symbol is tied to could cause the software to not know how to handle a non-unique value but that is not the issue.  Let me try with an example.  If I have an attribute table with 3 fields: last name, city, state and the symbol is tied to state (unique or not), if I change a last name from Smith to Jones, the symbol gets changed to the 'All Other Values' color and cannot be changed back.  How do I know this?  If I then go back and change the last name back from Jones to Smith, the correct symbol gets restored.  Same with the table frame.  If I change the data from what it was when the frame was created, the data in the table frame disappears. If I change the data back to what it was when the frame was created, the data then displays in the table frame.  Hopefully, this is more clear...and thanks for the help.

0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Can you explain in more detail this sentence from your original post?

"The data edits were made directly into the attribute table and not through the attribute pane."

I ask because I am making edits to a field that I have symbolized on in the attribute table and it is correctly applying the new symbology.

What would happen if you tried to make edits to the attribute table without having the table in the Layout?

Are you using complex symbology as the symbology I was using was simple and I did not add the table to a layout view?

0 Kudos
ChrisTruty
New Contributor II

I just tried the edit in the attributes pane (by selecting the feature on the map/Edit tab/Selection/Attributes) rather than the table edit (right-click/Properties of the layer name) and same behavior.  To simplify, if I just change the 'k' in McKinley from upper to lower case (Mckinley), the same behavior occurs regardless of where I do the edit.  The feature loses its symbol and goes to 'all other values.'

I would say 'yes', I am using a complex symbology.  I have 100 records (all polygons) and am using the 'unique values' value and picking from a 5-color style which I created.  Each value (feature) has a manually selected color for its symbol from the 5-color style.  Consequently, there are 20 features of each color.  (20*5=100).  When any value for any field for the selected feature is edited, the color changes to a non-style color and can't be changed without reverting the edited field data back to the original data.  In addition, even with the irregular color also, the 'label' for the feature in the label column of the attribute pane does not display the label next to the feature but rather the value.

I hope that is understandable.  Thanks again.

0 Kudos
MervynLotter
Occasional Contributor III

I had another look at editing my data with unique symbology applied and I

cant replicate the problem you describe, although I am using Pro 2.3 Beta.

0 Kudos
ChrisTruty
New Contributor II

Thank you for your assistance...a few items I accidentally discovered.  First, is that the layer I was working with was a shapefile.  Once I "converted" the shapefile to a feature class (and re-added the layer), the edits and feature changes took.  Second issue now is with the table frame in the layout.  I've now discovered that the table frame will populate if labeling for the source feature table is off.  If labeling is 'on', than the table layout data disappears.  I'm hoping this is a setting somewhere?

Thanks again,

MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

When you add the new feature does the attribute value you assign to it already exist in another record of the table or is this a truly unique new value?  If the value already exists it should get symbolized, but if it is a new value then it would go to 'All other values'.

What version of Pro are you working in?