AnsweredAssumed Answered

Using Python with Integrated Windows Authentication

Question asked by dcafdg on Nov 21, 2018
Latest reply on Nov 27, 2018 by bixb0012

Our ArcGIS Server 10.31 uses Integrated Windows Authentication (IWA). I am able to access everything using a web browser without ever logging in. It's really seamless. The problem I'm having is getting some Python code to access the REST admin URLs (using urllib, requests, or similar), e.g.: 

http://[domain]/arcgis/admin/security/users/search

When Python runs, it doesn't take advantage of the Integrated Windows Authentication. The response I get is a 401 with the body HTML saying:

401 - Unauthorized: Access is denied due to invalid credentials. You do not have permission to view this directory or page using the credentials that you supplied.

I have tried just about every iteration of passing in POST parameters, headers, and cookies with the python urllib and requests modules. I have tried passing in my user/pass, a token I generated, and also tokens that I fish out of Firefox's request/response stream. I may not have exhausted every possible combination, but I've given it the good ole' college try and come up empty. If anyone knows how to access the REST Admin URLs from Python (under IWA), I'd appreciate the help.

Another thought I had is that tokens and logins are going about this the wrong way. Is there some way to get Python to use my IWA identity and run as me, just like Firefox and Internet Explorer do? That could be a more elegant solution, since I wouldn't have to fool around with generating tokens or sending a user/pass around.

Thanks!

Outcomes