Using ArcGIS Online Feature Server Offline with pitem?

Jump to solution
10-24-2018 04:40 PM
JackHardwick3
New Contributor

A student in one of the GIS 101 courses I'm assisting with is attempting to gather data from an online feature server. Whenever he tries to download the item to use in ArcGIS Pro desktop, he's given a "pitem" file. We looked into how to retrieve the download from this pitem file but all that Esri says online that I'm finding is to open it up in Notepad and find a url that should have a direct download link. Since this is a feature server file, this simply brings us to the online metadata of the file instead. Is there a way to open these types of files in desktop? I'm unfortunately inexperienced with many of the ArcGIS Online functions but have not had these sorts of issues retrieving data in the past.  

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor

That file isn't a download of the data. It's simply a link to the service in Online. Opening that file on a computer will launch ArcGIS Desktop.

If the owner of the layer allows you to download the data, you'll see an Export Data option on the item page. This will let you, for example, export to shapefile as an item in your content that you can then download and view as local data.

Thanks,

Mike

View solution in original post

1 Reply
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor

That file isn't a download of the data. It's simply a link to the service in Online. Opening that file on a computer will launch ArcGIS Desktop.

If the owner of the layer allows you to download the data, you'll see an Export Data option on the item page. This will let you, for example, export to shapefile as an item in your content that you can then download and view as local data.

Thanks,

Mike