Fully automate manual ArcGIS Pro [Share -> Web Map] workflow

10-21-2018 01:54 AM
deleted-user-59NIbCq7H8Ve
New Contributor II

Dear all,

What I would like to accomplish is automate the entire publication process from a map inside an ArcGIS Pro aprx project to a Portal web map including all other dependent items. Python is my preferred implementation language.

Im using ArcGIS Pro 2.2.3 and ArcGIS Enterprise 10.6.1

So far I have been able to publish the underlying web (feature or image) layers by creating a SDDraft and a Service Definition (SD) by leveraging arcpy.

However, the missing part is automatically converting my Pro Map into an ArcGIS Portal web map.

When I look at the Staging folder on my local machine during manual publising I can see that a web map JSON document is being created (it can be done ..).

From this I conclude that ArcGIS Pro generates the Web Map configuration behind the scenes and publishes this to the Portal.

I would like to implement this part as well so my entire workflow is automated. Unfortunately I have not been able to find any arcpy or Python API functionality to achieve this task.

The Pro Map into an ArcGIS Portal web map conversion process could be implemented by listing all properties from the Pro map configuration. This is not my preferred approach and I am looking for a more straight forward approach.

Thanks for any help working this out!

2 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Are you using the 'arcgis' module?

arcgi.mapping.WebMap (arcgis 1.5.0) 

or some other reference?

0 Kudos
deleted-user-59NIbCq7H8Ve
New Contributor II

Hi Dan,

Thanks for your reply. I am aware of the Python API's functionality.

However my starting point is an ArcGIS Pro project (aprx) template. The Python API does not support interaction with this template.

So the only way to create the Web Map with the Python API would be to build it up from scratch and try to replicate the Pro configuration This won't be a problem for simple maps, but for complex maps with many layers this will take quite some customizing.

Cheers!