Flipping a Net CDF in ArcMap

10-18-2018 01:38 PM
MichaelBrown3
New Contributor II

Hello, I am working with 100 Netcdf files each with 365 (one for each day of the year) layers of time pertaining to the freeze thaw status of a region. My problem is that half of them are inverted, they must be flipped on the x axis. Everything else is perfect except for this. Now I know how to, and have, extracted a single time layer and can flip that to be a useful raster layer but I simply cannot feasibly do this for 50 netcdf files (50 netcdf's x 365 = too too much to flip manually). Is there an ability in Arc that I am unaware of that can flip the entire netcdf as it is?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

lots about those 'flipping' netcdf files on the web though.  apparently for most purposes the NS or SN flip doesn't matter (except for mapping)

you might have a better chance of batching the process with their specific tools.

Give these two a start, there are loads more

r - The variable from a netcdf file comes out flipped - Stack Overflow 

NetCDF operators (NCOs) for file manipulation and simple calculations 

11) Reversing (flipping, rearranging) the latitudes in a file.

For most applications it doesn't matter if the data is arranged in the file from southernmost to northernmost latitudes or from northernmost to southernmost latitudes, but it does matter if you are calculating spatial derivatives of a field (the curl in particular). The following will rearrange the latitudes of the data in a file. See the examples in the NCO documentation for more information on what can be done.

ncpdq -O -h -a -lat filename.nc filename.nc

where "-a -lat" means arrange the latitudes by reversing them.

0 Kudos