How do you install Pythonwin IDE?

02-15-2011 07:48 AM
DarrellAitken
New Contributor II
I installed ArcGIS 10 via download from the internet. How do I get Pythonwin IDE installed without the media? I see there is a pythonwin.exe file but does not execute.
Tags (2)
11 Replies
MikePowell
New Contributor II
My supervisor downloaded 10 from online as well and than put it on a DVD so that we could get 10 as well. In this path from the DVD: D:\ArcGIS_Desktop10_122519\Desktop\PythonWin there is word document that will describe to you why Pythonwin is not installed with the setup and how to set it up. When you install Pythonwin it will put it here: C:\Python26\ArcGIS10.0\Lib\site-packages\pythonwin. From there you can make a shortcut. A definite pain if you are accustom to using Pythonwin. Hope that helps
DarrellAitken
New Contributor II
Thanks that worked. New problem now. in PythonWin I type import arcpy and I get an error saying ImportError: No module named arcpy. In the interactive window it says that PtyhonWin is ver 2.6.6

Any help would be appreciated.
0 Kudos
Pía_ZenaidaVirginia
New Contributor II
Hi, no problem with typing "import arcpy" in the interactive window; I work this way and the drop-down lists appears when I type arcpy in the script window; scripts work when they run.

Virginia
0 Kudos
FilipKrál
Occasional Contributor III

Have you considered  pyscripter - An open-source Python Integrated Development Environment (IDE)‌ ?

If yes, are you aware of any advantages of Python Win over PyScripter?

I found PyScripter better in every regard and everyone I recommend PyScripter to then always prefer it to Python Win.

F.

0 Kudos
V_StuartFoote
MVP Frequent Contributor

Folks,

Since this ancient thread was revived, for anyone interested the PyWin32 extension to use with ArcGIS 10.1 and 10.2 is  Mark Hammond's Python for Windows 32-bit available on SourceForge ‌at build 219 for Python 2.7 from the linked URL.

Allow the download to complete and then run the installer. But, you may have to make PATH and *.pth adjustments for it to function with ArcPy.

Stuart

0 Kudos
ToddUlery
Occasional Contributor

I would have to suggest pyscripter.

0 Kudos
AndrewWilson99
Occasional Contributor

This (pyscripter) sounds pretty cool, but notice that support for Python 2.7), the version of python used in ArcGIS for Desktop 10.1+, isn't specified (FAQ - pyscripter - An open-source Python Integrated Development Environment (IDE) - Google Project H...).

I have no doubt that it will work "good enough", but it is just one more hurdle  in a enterprise when there are already enough of those "trust me"s out there that I have already committed myself to w.r.t. the rest of the software/applications/data/services and their life cycles. 

FilipKrál
Occasional Contributor III

Well spotted Andrew, and a fair point for an enterprise.

I just wanted to say it works for me on ArcGIS 10.1 with Python 2.7.

Filip.

0 Kudos
HemantAngarkar2
Occasional Contributor

I had the same problem. I downloaded Pythonwin from here. I kept the downloaded .exe in the folder "C:\Python27\ArcGIS10.2\Lib\site-packages". And installed Pythonwin. Worked for me.

0 Kudos