ArcGIS DeskTop trial version, is it no longer available?

10-04-2018 08:59 AM
Labels (1)
JonHall
Occasional Contributor II

A friend is starting a college course with ArcGIS Desktop exercises. The class isn't using ArcGIS Pro. I naively told her she would be able to download and request a license for a 30-day trial of ArcMap. All I see is a 21-day ArcGIS Pro trial offer. Is it still available through educational channels? Maybe her college has an ArcGIS Desktop site license, or something?

Thanks-

0 Kudos
3 Replies
JasonHine
Esri Contributor

It's not free, but here's an option that your friend might consider, if other options don't pan out:

ArcGIS for Personal Use Program | ArcGIS Desktop Advanced for Personal Use 

JonHall
Occasional Contributor II

Jason, thanks, I use that at home, it is a great deal, but that hundred bucks is not in the budget for her.  She found out the college provides her with an authorization code and the installer for ArcGIS Desktop 10.4, so problem solved.

I think the answer to my question is "NO", ESRI doesn't want you trying or buying the tried&true ArcGIS Desktop, forcing new users into Pro. I understand ESRI's business case, but the hardware requirements of ArcGIS Pro are a show-stopper for users in the shrinking middle class. She's already replacing her Chromebook with a newer laptop, just to run ArcGIS, and its hard to find great "back to school" deals on laptops with 8GB-16GB RAM. 

Suzanne-Boden
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Jon, glad to hear your friend was able to access ArcMap. The Higher Education community is a great resource if she has questions about other software her school likely has.