ArcSDE for SQL Server Express limitations?

09-20-2018 09:32 AM
TheDLH
by
New Contributor

Hello everybody,

I want to set up a enterprise geodatabase to share vector and raster data with my colleagues. It is the first time I use a data base instead of files/file geodatabase and I have some questions:

1. Do I need ArcGIS for Server to use a enterprise geodatabase? I have read that you need this license file that comes with ArcGIS for Server to activate a enterprise geodatabase?

2. What is the difference between using SQL Server Express (can I freely use it?) and a full SQL Server installation in addition of probably a huge cost difference? I have read that ArcSDE for SQL Server Express support comes with the standard Desktop ArcGIS we have.

3. Can I store both vector and raster data to the enterprise geodatabase?

I would be very happy about some start help/info.

regards and thank you!

0 Kudos
1 Reply
George_Thompson
Esri Frequent Contributor

Here are some responses to your answers:

1. Do I need ArcGIS for Server to use a enterprise geodatabase? I have read that you need this license file that comes with ArcGIS for Server to activate a enterprise geodatabase?

- Yes you must have ArcGIS for Server Enterprise (any level) to create an enterprise geodatabase. 

2. What is the difference between using SQL Server Express (can I freely use it?) and a full SQL Server installation in addition of probably a huge cost difference? I have read that ArcSDE for SQL Server Express support comes with the standard Desktop ArcGIS we have.

- ArcGIS for Server Workgroup is designed for SQL Server Express. There are HUGE differences between them. Types of geodatabases—ArcGIS Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

The support that you mention above is for a desktop geodatabase on SQL Express. There are limitations on the SQL Express side.

Microsoft limits the use of SQL Server Express to one CPU (or core within a socket) and 1GB of RAM. The maximum database size for SQL Server 2005 or 2008 Express is limited to 4GB. The maximum database size for SQL Server 2008 Express R2 is 10GB.

3. Can I store both vector and raster data to the enterprise geodatabase?

- Yes you can store both vector and raster in a geodatabase (file and/or enterprise). However, I would recommend storing the raster data on disk and using mosaic datasets to point to the source data: What is a mosaic dataset?—Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

Hope this helps.

--- George T.