MervynLotter

ArcGIS Earth 1.7 unable to view large SLPK files

Discussion created by MervynLotter on Sep 19, 2018
Latest reply on Oct 14, 2018 by Xuewen_Zhang-esristaff

I have created several slpk files in Drone2Map and I could view these in ArcGIS Earth 1.6, until the latest release of ArcGIS Earth that was based on the new quartz runtime engine. With version 1.7, I could view some slpks and others not.

So today I tested 14 slpk files of various sizes (26 MB through to 1.1 GB).

I am able to view all of these in ArcGIS Earth 1.6.1.

In ArcGIS Earth 1.7, I am unable to view slpk files larger than 450 MB and I start have trouble with files from about 170 MB. Some of them it opens and others it cant (may be related to scene layer package texture quality and size or levels of detail). 

I realise that 1.7 has been removed for downloading for other reasons, but I just want to make a plug for ensuring that the newest version is cable of loading the larger slpk files as the version 1.6 was able to. 

As a side note, ArcGIS Earth easily loads the large DSM, DTM and ortthomosaics that Drone2Map creates. DSMs and DTMs with hillshading work well, and orthomosaics too, I am just unable to visualise any variation in raster values in the DTMs and DSMs. One would need to apply a stretch function to these rasters which is currently not an option. Hopefully it will be in the near future.

Otherwise thanks for a great product. 

Outcomes