How to delete a point but keep its attribute table data?

09-10-2018 01:15 PM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I am posting this question here because I'm not sure where else to post it. If this is the wrong place, my apologies.

I have a feature class with around 16,000 points. There are 57 points that are associated with outdated locations. What they want me to do is disable those 57 points from drawing geometry on a map, but keep them in the attribute table. They want to keep the data in the table so that they can refer back to the missing points, but they don’t want the points to display anywhere on a map since their true locations are unknown. I need to do this in the actual feature class and not a map file. Any ideas on how to do this?

I tried to follow these directions, but I wasn’t successful. https://gis.stackexchange.com/questions/189019/is-it-possible-to-delete-geometry-create-null-but-ret...

Any help would be much appreciated!

0 Kudos
1 Reply
DarrenWiens2
MVP Honored Contributor

My guess is that you're looking to set a definition query, which creates a filtered view of your data. The features that meet the query criteria are shown on the map and table, but all the features remain in the feature class.

Alternatively, you may want to change the layer symbology to only display the relevant points, keeping everything in the attribute table, but only displaying the features you want.

You will not be able to delete a geographic feature and keep the table record, however. edit: reading through your link, it appears it may be possible, but my opinion is that it's a hacky way to organize your data.