What does content usage actually mean?

09-04-2018 07:48 AM
SimonCrutchley
Occasional Contributor III

I'm trying to find out what kind of usage my site is getting, but I'm not quite sure how the usage stats work. Do I get one visit to a layer each time someone clicks to expand a pop-up. My Map has had over 1000 views since launch, but looking at the various layers within it, they vary massively from a couple of hundred to 67,000!

This is further complicated by the fact that the app people visit is actually hosted by our IT.

Thanks

0 Kudos
7 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Is this an ArcGIS Online question?  If so, you might want to move it to ArcGIS Online‌ where it might get better exposure.

0 Kudos
SimonCrutchley

Sorry, I'm confused as to all the different "places" you can put things. When you save "move", can I move it, or do I need to re-post?

Ta

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Simon... the Actions cog.. is there a Move there?  If not, "Share" will work and the post will appear there as well

0 Kudos
SimonCrutchley

Hi Dan, No 'move' in the Actions cog and apparently I can only share with followers or connections, so I guess I'll just re-post. At least it's easy with cut and paste.

Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

For your Web Map each time a user opens the web map, this will be counted. However, the stats on your layers in the map will be a lot higher. Not sure which events will trigger the stats to go up (not sure each request at the service, pan, zoom, pop-up) will generate a hit.

I will CC Kelly Gerrow‌ who can probably provide an answer on this.

SimonCrutchley

Thanks for that. I'll wait to hear more. In the meantime, since I was having difficulties, and at Dan's suggestion, I've also posted in ArcGIS On-line as I couldn't work out how to add/move or share it. I'm happy to have one or other deleted as long as they can reach the larger audience.

Sorry for my confusion.

0 Kudos
KellyGerrow
Esri Frequent Contributor

Hey Simon,

The post is now in the ArcGIS Online space, so no need to move it or delete it.

Here is our documentation about how we count views for web maps and hosted feature services which includes how the views are calculated for different item types.

Item details—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS 

Monitor usage

For item owners and administrators, the Usage tab provides usage details about an item that help you gauge its popularity. Usage details show how many times the item has been used for the time period you select. Historical usage information is available for the past year. Depending on the item type, usage details can include the number of views, requests, or downloads, and the average number of views, requests, or downloads per day.

Views refers to the number of times the item has been viewed or opened. For maps, scenes, nonhosted layers, and web apps, the view count is increased by one when you open the item page or open the item in Map Viewer. For example, if you opened the item page for a map image layer and clicked Open in Map Viewer, the count would increase by two. For other items such as mobile apps, KML, and so on, the view count is increased by one when you open the item; the count does not increase when you open the item details page.

For hosted web layers (feature, tile, and scene), the number of requests is provided instead of views. Requests refers to the number of times a request is made for the data within the layer. For example, someone might open an app that contains a hosted feature layer. Opening the app counts as one view for the application, but multiple requests may be necessary to draw all the features in the hosted layer and are counted as such.