Automatically tracking database schema changes

08-30-2018 11:07 AM
AhmadSALEH1
Occasional Contributor III

Hi,

Is there any software that can be used to track the GIS database schema changes, I am looking for a method or a software that tracks any changes on the schema  gives a detailed report about the geodatabase history!  

Till now I am doing this using excel, it dose the job but not professionally . I draw a chart as an example for what am I thinking of:

This chart or report gives the history of Feature Class #1 inside the Database #1:

Thank you,

Ahmad

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
MitchHolley1
MVP Regular Contributor

Ahmad,

I have a tool that does something like this.  Please check my GitHub repository for the code.  However, this tool only lists GDB items, some info about them, and their fields.  It does not compare two different geodatabases.  Let me know if you have any ideas on how to improve on it.

AhmadSALEH1
Occasional Contributor III

Mitch,

This looks awesome , I think this is a great tool to get the current status of the DB, but it doesn't provide full history of the database of course I can run it very time I change something in DB and get a new xls file.

It would be great if it tracks the history in one page. I know that this might be challenging in python. 

Example:

Field A

Field A renamed to A2  on 9/9/2018

Field A renamed to A_02  on 9/19/2018

Feild B

Deleted on 9/19/2018

Field C

Added on 9/19/2018

Thank you,

Ahmad

0 Kudos
MarcoDiazgranados
New Contributor

Hi Ahmad, 

I'm looking something similar to track the schema changes for my geodatabases, are you find something usefull after all this years?

Thanks,

Marco

0 Kudos