Portal, "The layer could not be loaded"

08-22-2018 08:23 AM
JasonCarter
New Contributor III

Hi,

I recently used ArcGIS online assistant to move a map over from AGOL to Portal. 

I am receiving the following error and it is very annoying- 

"The layer could not be loaded." The thing is, I can see all of the layers that should be there. What Layer? "The" Layer? What does that mean? 

Tags (1)
6 Replies
NeillJobe
Occasional Contributor II

I would look into using Admin Tools for ArcGIS Online for this task.

https://marketplace.arcgis.com/listing.html?id=4b9205d08a42413085a17ca91b97e3c7

Neill

>

JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor

You can also run the dev tools or Fiddler when opening the map to see which request/service/layer is failing to load. That should help narrow down which is the problem.

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I am having this issue as well in a web map. "This layer could not be loaded." No specific layer is referenced, and it pops up VERY frequently. I need to turn it off 14 times before I can continue, and the cycle repeats often.

The thing is, all layers are loaded.

I have saved the map that gives me this message. Normally, when I get this message, the layer does not load at all, and if I were to save the map, it would save without this layer loaded into it and I would not continue to get this message.

Any idea what's going on here? Something seems to be broken.

Thank you,

Randy McGregor

BlakeBilbo
Occasional Contributor

Hello Randy,

We hear your pain, and we have a plan for that, but we may need your help.

My name is Blake Bilbo, and I'm the Head of Support for GEO Jobe GIS Consulting. We're the creators of the top THREE apps in the ArcGIS Online Marketplace, which includes Admin Tools for ArcGIS. We're developing a NEW product which will scan your organization for issues such as this, and provide a quick and easy call to action to fix these issues in bulk. We're calling it "Clean My Organization."

I am reaching out because this is precisely the kind of "Broken Web Map" (among many other common issues) that we would be aiming to fix with Clean My Organization. We would really like to get in touch with you to test this upcoming product to ensure broken web maps and layers will be effectively recognized during the scan and a solution is quickly provided in the app.

Please contact me at bbilbo@geo-jobe.com if you are interested and can help us out. We would really appreciate this opportunity to release a product many folks can take advantage of, and we believe the key to this will be real-world sampling of various content that we can analyze and address.

Thank you for your interest, we hope to hear from you!

0 Kudos
AndrewMurphy3
New Contributor III

We had the same issue and I believe I got to the bottom of it. It boils down to the itemid of the layers in the webmap not referencing an item in Portal. I suspect when you copy a webmap in AGOL Assistant from one Portal / AGOL to another and change the URLs only the URLs are changing but the itemid of the Map Image Layer for instance are not. The layers still load because they have the correct URL but the error message pops up because the itemid doesn't exist in your portal. The only solution I could see was to use AGOL Assistant to manually change the itemid to match the itemid of the layer in your portal.

AndrewBowne
Occasional Contributor III

Same issue here and  using AGO Assistant to remap itemID's worked for me.  Nice catch.

0 Kudos